Norway MapStudy in Norway

How to apply for university studies in Norway

If you are an international student interested in enrolling in a program taught in English in Norway, you will be required to submit your application directly to the institution of your choice. The institution will examine the submitted documentation, will check whether you are eligible for the study program or course you applied for, will inform you on whether you have to pass an admission or aptitude test, and will issue a letter of acceptance in case you are finally admitted.

If you are applying for a first cycle degree (bachelor's) in Norway, you will need to meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for higher education studies. To verify your eligibility, higher education institutions will use the GSU list. The GSU list is a document that contains information on what requirements you will need to meet depending on your country.

[Download the GSU list with country specific information]

For most study programs, you will have to be ready to submit the documents as described below:

  • A filled-in application form for the selected study program or course. This form can be usually downloaded from the university or college website or even filled-in electronically.
  • Proof of knowledge of language.
  • For some study programs, you might have to pass an aptitude test.
  • For some programs, you may also be requested to submit a recommendation letter.

Additionally, you will usually have to submit the documents as described below depending on your level of education:

  • For first cycle studies (bachelor's): an attested copy of your upper secondary school certificate and a copy of the results from the university entrance examinations in your home country.
  • For second cycle programs (master's): an attested copy of your bachelor's degree certificate.
  • For third cycle studies (PhD): an attested copy of your master's program certificate.

Even though the majority of higher education institutions have electronic application systems, you may be requested to send your documents by post too in order to verify their authenticity. Be advised that most institutions require your documents to be legalized.

Please, check at your institution website if you need to submit further documentation.

Cron Job Starts