Residence permit in Austria for non-EU students
- List of Austrian missions abroad. You'll be able to download the application form for a visa to enter Austria.
- Form for residence permit in Austria.
- Processing fee: 120 EUR.
- Processing time: up to 3 months.
- Financial resources: 872.31 EUR / month (students of 24 years old or above) or 481.75 EUR / month (students of up to 24 years old).
If you intend to stay in Austria for less than 6 months
You may have to apply for a Schengen Visa (if you intend to stay up to 90 days) or a visa type D (if you wish to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 days) at your local Austrian embassy or consulate.
Students form certain countries do not require a visa to enter Austria.
If you intend to stay in Austria for more than 6 months
Students who don't require a visa to enter Austria
If you don't require a visa to enter Austria, you may apply for your student residence permit (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierende) from abroad or when you arrive in Austria during your visa-free stay. You will have to apply at the local authority as soon as possible while your visa-free stay is still valid.
Students who require a visa to enter Austria
You will have to apply before you come to Austria at the Austrian embassy or consulate in your country. If your application is accepted, you will be issued a visa type D to enter Austria. Once you are in Austria, you will be able to pick up your student residence permit (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierende) at the local authority.
Documents required to apply for your student residence permit in Austria (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Studierende)
- The filled-in application form.
- A valid passport. Make sure your passport is valid throughout the entire period of your stay in Austria.
- A copy of your health insurance plan.
- Two recent passport size photo.
- Proof of accommodation in Austria.
- A criminal record certificate.
- A proof of sufficient financial means or copy of your grant/scholarship stating you can support yourself financially throughout your time as a student in Austria.
Please, check with your local authority in Austria or Austrian embassy in your country if you need to provide additional documentation.
If your documents were not originally issued in German, you are required to have them translated by an authorized translator.
The cost of the application is in total 120 EUR and the usual processing time is up to 3 months.
In order for your student residence permit in Austria to be granted, you will need to prove you have, at least, 872.31 EUR per month if you are 24 years old or above, or 481.75 EUR per month if you are up to 24 years old.
Residence permit in Austria for EU students
- EU students have the right to reside in Austria without applying for a residence permit provided they have sufficient means to support themselves financially.
- EU students must obtain a Confirmation of Registration (Anmeldebescheinigung).
- Application form.
- Processing fee: ca. 15 EUR.
- Financial resources: 872.31 EUR / month (24 years or older) or 481.75 EUR / month (up to 24 years old).
- Make sure you have your European Health Insurance Card.
EU students who have sufficient means to support themselves financially during their studies have the right to reside in Austria without the need for a residence permit. Instead, EU students have to obtain a document called "Confirmation of Registration" (Anmeldebescheinigung) from the settlement authority (Niederlassungsbehörde) of the area where they will reside.
When applying for your Anmeldebescheinigung, you will be asked to enclose the documents as listed below:
- The filled-in application form.
- A valid travel document.
- The letter of acceptance from your university or college in Austria.
- Two passport size photos.